The references made to Mr. Tait and Mr. Baird have already indicated that games were being developed in the school. The first Prospectus reference to games in Session 1896-97 states: “There is a Cricket Club and it is hoped there will be a Rugby Club in connection with the School. A Gymnastic Instructor has been chosen, specially qualified to superintend the cricket and football.” Another development, cut short, alas! is referred to in the following sentence: “Academy Pupils are admitted to the West End Baths at half-price.” The cryptic note also appears that “Pupils who own bicycles are requested to hand their names to the Rector.” This is explained in the following Prospectus which states that ‘there are in connection with the School a Cricket Club and a Rugby Club” and that “it is hoped there will be a Bicycle Club.’ The Prospectus goes on as follows: “For a long time the want of a proper field for Cricket and Football has been very much felt; but hitherto all endeavours to supply this want have proved vain. Those who are interested in outdoor games will be pleased to learn that the Rector has entered into an agreement with the Wanderers’ Football Club to share with them the cost of levelling and draining a portion of West Battery Park, so as to adapt it for Football and Cricket. A sum of about one hundred and fifty pounds will require to be raised by the Academy Clubs, and they look with confidence to old pupils and friends to assist them. The Rector will be glad to receive and acknowledge subscriptions.” The reference to this one hundred and fifty pounds appears for the next year or so but by Session 1900-01 the Prospectus merely states that “There are in connection with the School a Cricket Club and a Rugby Club and the ground is at West Battery Park.” (As the School was deprived of this ground during the First World War, Sport was much disrupted but Glenpark was made available for school cricket practices and matches.) The Gymnastics Instructor is still stated to be in charge of games’ supervision. By 1901 it appears that a bat was being presented to the best batsman and a ball to the best bowler as ascertained by League Matches. This practice has been discontinued as fostering individualism. The first reference to organised sports is to be found in the Prize List attached to the Prospectus for 1903-4, but these sports were presumably of much earlier date. We hear no more of the Bicycle Club, but during the years that followed the Academy became a force in rugby and cricket and in the latter game was able to challenge successfully the chief Glasgow schools.
It was not until 1923 that the loss of the Battery Park playing field was made good by the opening of the ground at Fort Matilda which provided tennis courts as well as rugby and cricket pitches.